Ghale gaun has been a prominent tourist attraction ever since the Nepal government initiated the village tourism. The emphasis is being put upon the protection of flora and fauna and continuance of the indigenous tradition and culture. Ghale gaun is also popular for being a honey hunting destination, specially during the winters. If you are on your way along the Annapurna route, then this place should not be missed.
Ghale gaun belongs to Lamjung district of Nepal. Lamjung is named after the mountain Lamjung. So the village is situated at a gargantuan height of about 2100 meters at the base of the Lamjung mountain.
- Ghale Gaun offers you the enthralling views of the majestic snow capped mountains. You can enjoy the sight of Mount Manaslu, Lamjung Himal, Mount Machhapuchhre and Annapurna range in all their glory.
- If you want to have the thrilling experience of honey hunting, or to get interesting information about this, then visiting Ghale Gaun is highly recommended. People over here are adept in honey hunting, especially of the bee known as ‘Vir Mauri’. These bee prepare their hive away from the human residence at an exclusive zone at the sheer top. Vir Mauri is extremely ferocious species of bee. The sting of Vir Mauri is lethal. So, it is really interesting to watch the way these native people collect honey climbing the crag without any support.
- Lamjung offers you the most enchanting white water rafting experience on earth.
- Ghale Gaun is a prominent Gurung village. The Gurungs have their own unique language, culture and traditions which tourists find fascinating. You shouldn’t miss their pilgrimage site, the Samba Chhyoling Gompa at Nassar Danda.
Art and Craft
Ghale Gaun is known for its top notch crafts. The blanket prepared by the native people here, known as ‘Radi’ is quite famous. Apart from this, the woolen products and bamboo crafts are popular among the visitors.
What to Enjoy
- Bird watching at Talngyo Lake is simply amazing. Pempro fall is another incredible place for nature enthusiasts.
- For the spiritual travelers, Uttarkanya is a holy place to be visited.
- Batase Cave and Khudi hydroelectric dam offers you a thrilling view.
- The festive occasion of ‘Rodhi’ can offer you a nice musical evening. Apart from this, the traditional dances like Dohori, Ghatu, Ghyabring, Jhyaure, Serka, Krishna Charitra and Jhakri are extremely entertaining for the travelers. The dancers with traditional attires look simply amazing.
- Ghale Gaun offers you a never before experience of hospitality. The travelers are welcomed warmly with the flowers. Similar arrangement is made during the departure as well.
- The festive occasions like Nepali New Year (during April) and Buddha Jayanti (during May) are considered the best period for visiting.
Ghale Gaun offers awesome home stay service at the Gurung houses. Spending some days in the traditional lightening patterns and heating system will offer you a whole new experience. Mostly, people here rely on solar power for energy. They treat you with delicious foods like rice and chicken curry as well as the well-liked traditional foods/drinks such as Chang (a kind of rice beer) and dhendo as well.
How to reach Ghale Gaun?
You can get direct Bus from Kathmandu or Pokhara to Besisahar, Lamjung. Second option is to reach Dumbre in Kathmandu-Pokhara Highway and get local buses directly to Bhulbhule crossing Beshisahar. From Bhulbhule, Ghale Gaun lies at a walkable distance through Bhalam Chour, which itself is rich with various flowers and rare animals/birds.